Cinnamon bun joy is not all about the sugar!

Walking to the market today, I was remarking to Yarrow how I've picked up a habit my grandma used to have and I never understood: sometimes I won't spend money on me but I'll happily imagine I have the exact same money to spend on someone else. In this case it was the cinnamon buns with sort of chewy almost French pastry that the guy at the end spot in the Saturday market makes. I have bought one there every week since we arrived. Yarrow and I usually share one, partly because carbohydrates but also partly because Yarrow says "they're $4 each mom, two would be $8." Too right. But earlier this morning we stopped for coffee on the way to the market and there I was offering to bring the beautiful Australian barista one back. Because they're just so joyful you HAVE to share them.
And then I noted to Yarrow about how I didn't understand it when my grandma did it but now I understand it. And he agreed that it does actually give you more pleasure out of the $4 to buy the cinnamon bun and give it away than it actually does to buy it and eat it (we did buy and share our usual one and it was ahh-mazing as it always is). 
Anyway. The baristas were happy I brought them one on a busy Saturday. So that's shared happiness I'll get to use all week every time I think of it. Totally worth $4.
And I had a chat with the farm girl preserves girl about keto and how cinnamon buns are good, once per week, and how the rest of the week you can remember the amazingness of eating the cinnamon bun and think about the next one you'll eat or share and that's yummy too. You don't have to actually be putting the sugar in your mouth to be getting the joy from it when it's that delicious.
And then later in the day Yarrow realized he'd forgotten a turnip and the turnip was so delicious last week, and that gave me an excuse to go back for a SECOND cinnamon bun (they were extra good this week I'm telling you, and I'm having to do grant proposals and I'm really tired. and we're biking tomorrow). And the plant guy who sold me our amazing lemongrass plants that give me so much happiness and prosperity feeling, who always chat with us (like about the fact we had to end up giving two of our ferns away, not from him, but from another guy, but they just couldn't make it in the gulag) and always greets us when we get there, was like "hey, you're back" and I told him about the turnip (actually, rutabaga) and my naughty second cinnamon bun plan.
And I told the rutabaga lady about how delicious Yarrow thought it was and she said again how delighted she is to see Young Man so interested in Quality Food.
And then Mr. Cinnamon Bun Man who has been rather standoffish to date suddenly warmed up and claimed I'd been to see him 3 times already today, which wasn't true, but I told him I HAD been there every week since I've moved to town and he should know by now what I want and he gave me TWO cinnamon buns for the price of one (it was also almost closing time, but he does have retail outlets that would probably take them) and so I gave one to the plant guy and he said REALLY? A whole one? And he was really happy too.
So for $4 actually I got to give TWO people cinnamon buns today! And I took Yarrow's and my second one back to Charts and shared a taste with Jesse (the owner) there, too, since in Canada unlike France, you aren't normally just allowed to go fetch your food from the boulangerie next door and eat it in the bar, so it seemed polite and fun to share. So that's FIVE whole people made happy on cinnamon buns through me today.
Well, France doesn't have cinnamon buns and Wolfville does. That's one thing. For the note, though, the air IS already dipping to that temperature that hurts my face and people are discussing the hand pain of Reynaud's syndrome in winter... sigh. It's good there are ginger and turmeric and garlic and cinnamon because the winter is coming...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Pi Day: Why My Religious Symbol is a Circle

What do you want?

Smartest guy in the boardroom, dumbest guy on the street